Saturday, August 16, 2008

Michael Phelps and I have a mutual friend on facebook

Impressive, no? I mean, it makes sense, since I have a friend who is also an athlete at Michigan, but I was nevertheless surprised when fbook delivered that little tidbit.

Ok, that is obviously not the point of this post.

Before the Olympics started, Laur and I had a serious roommate bonding moment over our mutual apathy for the Olympics. In fact, I was kind of even excited to NOT watch them. Which is weird, because everyone knows the summer sports are way better than the winter ones. (With the notable exception of figure skating.) But, I couldn't muster that much enthusiasm this year because Ian Thorpe is out. (He was my fave.)

Anyway, when I arrived home on Sunday, my mother was her usual adorable blend of terrifying efficiency and overwhelming cuteness. She'd just completed tearing a huge hole in our kitchen, thereby merging the kitchen and our garage. But she was also SUPER into the Olympics. Mostly she just likes it when the P.O.M.Es do any better than 4th. The Brits are ALWAYS coming in 4th. It's a source of huge entertainment for my father, but is generally less amusing to Mum. So we've been watching a lot of Olympics. Mostly on the Canadian channel, because they actually show the events live (unlike NBC, who has the weirdest definition of live ever). I love the Canadians because they will mention the Canadian athletes even when they are hysterically behind. ("The Canadian athlete is now in 57th place!") A while ago, they did that with Simon Whitfield (in the triathlon) and he somehow went from like, 73rd to 1st! It was so cool. But enough about the Canadians.

I am kind of in love with Michael Phelps now. Not in luuuuuuurrrrrvvvvve, but I mean, wow. Of course, it is easy to support someone when they're ridiculously talented. Although, it is more than slightly depressing that we're the same age. He's insane! Mostly though, I think his mum is so precious. She is such a midge. I am not sure how she birthed that orca, but props to you, Mrs. Phelps.

I'm really only paying attention to the swimming, since the gymnasts creep me out (they all look pre-pubescent) but I should say that I am kind of loving the racing. I am loving the hugging across lane dividers, I am loving the teeny Japanese man who beat all the super tall guys at the beginning of the week, and I am LOVING all the relay teams (even though I get flashbacks from relay practices from interminable erging winters). I really like it when America wins, even though I think the Yanks sometimes say really stupid things. Example: one of the relay team members saying that Phelps winning 8 medals is bigger/more impressive than anything else in sports, including the Tour de France. Um, what? False. Has this guy never seen the Tour de France?

Mostly I just like it when someone adorable wins. Which reminds me! I was so excited that Jamaica won something.

I will say though, I am not into NBC. First, they lie about things being live. Secondly, they have been MEAN to Ian Thorpe. As someone who teaches other people how to use sources, I feel someone should point out that what the Thor-pedo said about Michael Phelps was NOT as bitchy as everyone is claiming. Thorpe even said "I'd love to see [Phelps] do it [you know, win everything]" and THEN he hugged Mrs. Phelps when Michael whomped every single record Thorpe ever set. So let's not sass the poor man. Instead, let's calm the deuce down.

No comments: