Sunday, June 22, 2008

bōl



bōl. Initially, I was going to call my restaurant "Bowl Me Over!" Because, as Lauren said, it's the kind of name that says, "Just try to have a bad time here. We dare you." But, I am going for more of a cozy vibe than a perky vibe. I mean, okay, I am pretty perky anyway. So my restaurant would also likely be perky and smiley and generally bubbly. But I want my restaurant to be plush, with rich colors and comfy furniture. My restaurant will have the same overall feel as a really good nap. It will be cozy and intimate. And everything will be served in a bowl. Because I LOVE bowls (please refer to my favorite bowl, above, from Ikea. It fits in my hands perfectly). Eating out of bowls is so comforting. So that's the twist for my restaurant. I'd like all my customers to bask in the warm embrace of eating from bowls. Also everything will be bite sized, so knives won't be necessary. I myself like to eat with forks, but spoons will also be available. I'm not here to judge.

Oh also, there will be no tables! Well, not dining-type tables. There will be some low coffee tables, next to deep couches covered in old, worn leather (you know, for when the meals are served/finished. Oh, also for the wine. Obviously wine will flow at my restaurant like Willy Wonka's chocolate river. Not actually though, because I don't think there's any real benefit to churning wine). Patrons will be encouraged to take their shoes off and curl up on the couches, bowls in their laps as they engage in deep philosophical conversations. Oh, and there will be a huge brick fireplace in the middle of room, and wood floors. Music will play softly in the background, and will vary anywhere from Badly Drawn Boy (I think "Something to Talk About"
is like a musical hug. I'm really into hugs, or things that produce hug-like feelings) to Lesley Garrett (her "Song to the Moon" is heartbreakingly beautiful. If you haven't heard it, let me know and I'll send it).
Here are the couches:

Makes you just want to curl up with a bowl and a philosopher/dining companion, doesn't it?

No comments: