Monday, July 7, 2008

Bloomsbury Post 6.2 - Hand

I figured, since I put forth two prompts, I should at least do both of them. I'm not really sure what possessed me to open the palm-reading can of worms, as I (like Lauren) am a little iffy on the whole thing. I recall once at a company picnic they brought in a tarot card reader. I was just about to leave for France, and had a whole round of grad school applications on my horizon. I asked the woman about my career - that is, I asked her about my intention to become a professor. She said - I still remember it verbatim, which is funny since I JUST said I don't really buy into this kind of stuff - "I'm sorry, sweetie, but I just don't see that working out for you". First - rude - don't call me sweetie. Particularly when you've just casually shrugged my future off. Secondofly, maybe she just knew the job market for professors sucks. Maybe she herself was a failed PhD! So maybe ten years from now I'll be reading tarot cards at company picnics. Which means I'd better take this palm reading post pretty seriously.

I picked my left hand, even though it's my dominant hand. Because I like being left-handed, and also because I like being a girl.

The Heart Line: 
Begins in the middle: Falls in love easily.
(Not sure I agree with this.)
Smaller lines crossing  through the heart line: emotional trauma. 
(Oh hey! Faaaaabulous.)

The Head Line: 
Curved, sloping line: Creativity! 
(That almost makes up for the crappy heart line)

Deep, long line: Thinking is clear and focused. 
(Fantastic. Except, I think anyone who has ever had a conversation with me would likely disagree. Ben, for example, spends most of our conversational time trying to tie up the loose ends I leave scattered all over the place.)

Multiple crosses through the head line: momentous decisions
(Doesn't everyone have momentous decisions to make?)

The Life Line: 
Long, deep: vitality
(here's hoping.)

Swoops around in a semi-circle: strength and enthusiasm
(I think this is true. I mean, anyone who sits near me during So You Think You Can Dance can plainly see I have oodles of enthusiasm. Possibly too much enthusiasm, considering it's a tv show. But I am enthusiastic about other things too, like Socrates, Shakespeare, and buying DVDs.)

The Fate Line: 
Ok, none of the descriptors matched my fate line. It breaks, but does not continue in different directions. So maybe that means I'm prone to many changes in life from internal - rather than external - features? But really, I just made that up, because it seems to be more accurate. 

My hand seems to be a Fire hand: 
Square or rectangular palm, flushed or pink skin, and shorter fingers; length of the palm greater than the length of the fingers.
-Spontaneous, enthusiastic, and optimistic
-Sometimes egoistic, impulsive, and insensitive
-extroverts
-do things boldly and instinctively

I...kind of agree with this. I wouldn't particularly consider myself an extrovert, since I am kind of ridiculously shy. But the rest of it I think is pretty accurate. 

So that's it. Also, I would like to mention that as I sat here in the AML writing this post, Jim was laughing at me pretty much the whole time. I would say something like "Never let it be said that I don't suffer for you guys" but this whole thing was my idea. So it's my own damn fault. 

No comments: