Sunday, July 13, 2008

You Devil Syrup!

Well, yesterday we went to the farmer's market. We, in this case, is me, Julie and the Trouts. (In case you're wondering, I like saying "Julie and the Trouts" to the tune of "Bennie and the Jets". Try it. It's fun!) Anyway. I have always been pretty nonchalant about food. Like, I don't think about it too much, unless I'm hungry. Which technically is all the time, but then I'm not thinking about how it got in front of me, or what's in it. I know, I know. I am one of those Americans.

Fortunately, I am also a rower. Or at least, I was for seven years. The main function of a rower is to sit in the boat and do whatever the coxswain/coach tells her to do. Anyway, my point is that I'm good at following directions. I just need someone to directly give them. For example, I always turn the lights off when I leave a room, because I once went to see the Dalai Lama speak and that's what he told us to do. I'm very obedient.

So when Jim and Karen explained that high fructose corn syrup is the devil, and that I probably should stop eating it approximately 3464710308231 times a day, I thought "No way dudes, I am sure I don't eat it that much."

Um, false.

So this is what I've been doing all weekend: I eat, and then I think "I wonder if THIS has hfcs." Then I find out that it does. Then I wander around the apartment swearing, and try to find something to recycle (to make up for it). Holy crap, people! It's EVERYWHERE. This high-fructose thing has officially rocked my white bread world. And that white bread is probably laced with...well, you know.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm impressed! Crazy, isn't it? The stuff is in everything (we even found it in our whole wheat bread). Welcome to your food awakening!